Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hohokam

We’ve now been to two locations where we learned about and saw firsthand the works and lives of the Hohokam people who according to our readings were around this area almost 10,000 years ago up to just after the birth of Christ. They had advanced irrigation systems, sports arenas that housed a game similar to basketball and developed really nice community dwellings. I’ve attached pictures of their petroglyphs found near our campsite on night 6 and their dwellings at Casa Grande national monument. These people and their existence so long ago have spurned some interesting thoughts as we’ve been thinking about our short existence here on earth, the legacy we will leave and how God influences and interacts in our lives. I have a decent grasp on what the details of my life are like and I’m continually trying to understand and follow through on what God would have for me. However, these people (their ancestors over thousands of years) who I have hard evidence existed and must have come from Russia across to Alaska boggle my mind. I feel good about connecting God to me but I am struggling to connect God to these ancient people who existed in Old Testament times. By the way, the sunset and nearby mountains are amazing right now…. How could these people who were before Jesus’ time not look around and into the stars and think wow and wonder to the Creator. My bet is they did, and now I am on to refresh my memory of God’s view on those people who lived 10,000 years ago in the Arizona desert and all of the other ancient, remote, unknown peoples of the world that He created.
















No comments:

Post a Comment