Saturday, March 13, 2010

Joshua's Wind

Currently, we are at Key's View in Joshua Tree NP which is on the top of a mountain that overlooks the San Andreas Fault, Palm Springs and the mountain ranges near by. We were up early (story later) and decided to drive up to this lookout to catch it before everyone else. Well, it's 8:15 now, we've been here for about 2 hours, cooked a hot breakfast of eggs, potatos and fresh picked grapefruit. I believe the wind(see video, it's difficult to hear the narration as the very high winds are muffling my voice) could be a factor in keeping people away; we're the only ones here and the park is full meaning their is no room at the inn. There were tons of people everywhere we went yesterday afternoon. That takes me to our story as to why we were up early: our only option to stay in the park without cheating the system was to hike into the backcountry and pitch a tent. We came equipped thanks to "David's Basement Outfitting" so that's what we decided to do. Everythign was kopasetic until about 6 hours into the night, the wind got worse and worse, similar to what we're experiencing now while the 30' RV rocks back and forth in the wind. That wind late last night ripped the stakes out of the ground and our tent became a version of the parachute game we used to play in elementary school. After a middle of the night fix-it, the wind was so loud and havocwreaking on the tent, we couldn't sleep and were packed up and heading back to our luxury mansion by dawn.

2 comments:

  1. Hey ya'll! Just as information, I am REALLY enjoying this blog and living vicariously through you :-). I feel like I've saved a ton of money already...simply because you're showing me places I've never been before. And now, I may not have to ever go because it'll be like, "Oh yeah, I've seen this before...Lisa & Mathew showed me this already." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake thought you were jumping out of a plane!

    ReplyDelete